Another great day for starting pitching in the Cubs farm system on Wednesday.
Single-A South Bend
Cubs beat Great Lakes 2-1.
- LHP Mike Montgomery started and pitched 2.0 innings on a rehab stint. Montgomery allowed just a hit while striking out four and walking none.
- RHP Cam Sanders came in after Montgomery and fired 5.0 scoreless innings. Sanders allowed just three hits while striking out four. He has yet to give up a run through 15.0 innings (3 starts) this season.
- OF D.J. Artis went 1-for-2 with 1 RBI and a run scored.
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pelicans beat Frederick 5-3.
- LHP Bryan Hudson allowed six hits and two earned runs over 5 1/3 innings. Hudson struck out three and walked two, picking up the win. He’s allowed two runs or less in all three starts this season, striking out 14 in 15.1 innings.
- DH Cam Balego went 2-for-3 with 2 RBI, a run scored, and a walk.
- OF Zach Davis went 2-for-3 with 1 RBI, a run scored, and a walk.
Big Sale on Cubs Stuff! Check it out below:
Smokies fell to Jackson 7-6.
- Cubs #9 prospect, RHP Cory Abbott dominated again. Abbott yielded three hits and one earned run over 5 2/3 innings. He struck out seven and walked one. Abbott has allowed one earned run or less through 3 starts this season with 17 strikeouts.
- 3B Robel Garcia went 1-for-3 with a 3-run homer.
- 1B P.J. Higgins went 2-for-4.
Cubs split the doubleheader.
- RHP Alec Mills allowed eight hits but one earned run in 4.0 innings. Mills struck out three and walked one in his 2019 debut.
- C Ian Rice went 2-for-4 with a 3-run homer.
- 3B Phillip Evans went 2-for-4 with 1 RBI.