A solid day for starting and relief pitching in the Cubs farm system on Monday.
Single-A South Bend
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pelicans lost to Down East 3-0.
- LHP Ryan Kellogg threw 4.0 innings in relief, allowing four hits and one earned run. Kellogg struck out three and walked none. He’s allowed just 2 earned runs in 15 1/3 innings as a reliever this season.
Big Sale on Cubs Stuff! Check it out below:
Smokies beat Jacksonville 4-1.
- 3B Robel Garcia went 1-for-4 with a walk and 2 runs scored. Garcia has a hit in 9 of his last 10 games, batting .346 on the season.
- RHP Zach Hedges was excellent over 6 1/3 innings. Hedges yielded just four hits and an earned run while striking out six. He got the win, now 1-0 with a 2.75 ERA in 4 starts this season.
Cubs fell to San Antonio 4-3.
- Addison Russell started at second base for the first time in his Iowa stint. Russell had been playing shortstop and was the DH yesterday. Signs suggest he will not have a spot at shortstop when he returns to the Cubs as Javy Baez is the clear choice. Russell went 0-for-3 with a walk.
- CF Ian Happ went 1-for-5 with a run scored.
- RHP Carl Edwards Jr. pitched 1.0 inning out of the bullpen, allowing a solo homer and a walk in the 7th.
- OF Donnie Dewees went 2-for-3 with 1 RBI. Dewees is batting .348 in his last 10 games with 5 RBI and 10 walks.