While the Cubs are struggling a bit, it’s a good time to focus on the Minor League. Cubs Minor League baseball kicked off on Thursday night with some good prospect performances across the system.
Single-A South Bend
South Bend beat West Michigan 5-4.
- Cubs #5-ranked prospect, OF Cole Roederer had a great debut. Roederer went 1-for-4 with 2 RBI, reaching base twice.
- Cubs #30-ranked prospect, INF Andy Weber went 2-for-4 with 1 RBI.
- Cubs #15-ranked prospect, OF Nelson Velazquez went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
- SS Tyler Durna went 2-for-4 with a run scored and 1 RBI.
- LHP Eugenio Palma pitched 2.0 innings allowing just a hit, earning the win. Palma struck out 3 in middle relief.
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pitching was not great for the Pelicans, losing to Lynchburg 14-5.
- Cubs #1-ranked prospect, C Miguel Amaya went 1-for-3 with a run scored and 2 RBI in his debut.
- CF D.J. Wilson went 2-for-4 with 2 runs scored.
Tennessee beat Mississippi 7-5.
- Cubs #17-ranked prospect, Tom Hatch tossed 5.0 shutout innings. Hatch allowed just 2 hits while striking out 7.
- Spring Training invitee, 1B Jared Young went 2-for-5 with 2 runs scored and 1 RBI.
- 3B Robel Garcia made his Cubs MiLB debut, going 3-for-5 with a run scored and 2 RBI.
Iowa beat Nashville 5-4.
- CF Ian Happ went 2-for-5 with 3 RBI.
- Cubs #20-ranked prospect, Trent Giambrone went 2-for-5 with a solo homer.
- RHP Duncan Robinson tossed 4 2/3 solid innings, allowing 6 hits and 1 earned run. Robinson struck out 3.