South Bend and Iowa’s pitching and Tennessee’s offense led the Cubs farm system on Wednesday.
Single-A South Bend
Cubs fell to Fort Wayne 3-1.
- RHP Peyton Remy fired 5.0 shutout innings in his 1st start of the season. Remy allowed 3 hits and 0 runs while striking out 5 and walking 1. He had pitched 8 games in relief prior to this start. Remy is 1-1 with a 2.31 ERA.
- #30 prospect, SS Andy Weber went 2-for-4.
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pelicans fell to Frederick 8-2.
- #12 prospect, RHP Alex Lange was on a roll with 5.0 scoreless innings. Questionably, Lange was sent back out for the 6th inning where he gave up 3 runs. He is 1-7 with a 9.71 ERA this season. Hopefully, Lange turns it around soon.
- OF Grant Fennell went 2-for-4 with 1 RBI.
Smokies beat Pensacola 9-3.
- 2B/SS Vimael Machin went 4-for-5 with 3 RBI.
- 1B Jared Young went 2-for-5 with 3 RBI.
Cubs swept the doubleheader; 5-3 and 6-3.
- CF Ian Happ went 4-for-4 with a 2-run homer for a total of 5 RBI in game two.
- #4 prospect, Adbert Alzolay went 5.0 innings in game one. He allowed just three hits and one earned run. Alzolay struck out six and walked none in the win. He returned from the IL on May 12th, struggling in a rehab for Myrtle Beach and in his first Iowa start last Friday. However, Alzolay found his groove on Wednesday night.
- 3B Robel Garcia went 2-for-3 with a solo homer in game one. Garcia followed up going 1-for-4 in game two. He is batting .293 with 9 homers and 33 RBI this season.
- 1B Jim Adduci went 1-for-3 with a 3-run homer.