Pitching was excellent in the Cubs farm system on Monday.
Single-A South Bend
Cubs beat West Michigan 1-0.
- RHP Cam Sanders was superb once again. Sanders allowed 2 hits and 0 runs while striking out 7 in 5.0 innings. He is 3-2 with a 2.09 ERA in 9 games this season. Sanders could be promoted soon to Myrtle Beach.
- #23 prospect, RHP Jose Albertos had another clean relief appearance. Albertos yielded just 2 hits in 2.0 innings while picking up a strikeout.
- DH/C Rafelin Lorenzo went 1-for-2 with 1 RBI.
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pelicans fell to Wilmington 0-1.
- RHP Javier Assad produced another strong start despite earning the loss. Assad gave up 4 hits and 1 earned run in 6.0 innings. He struck out 7 and walked 3. Assad is 2-5 with a 2.96 ERA this season.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda went 2-for-3 with a walk.
Cubs beat New Orleans 2-1 in 10 innings.
- #4 prospect, RHP Adbert Alzolay dominated again. Alzolay yielded just 2 hits and 1 earned run over 6.0 innings. He struck out a season-high 9 and walked 1. Alzolay has allowed just 5 hits and 2 earned runs with 15 Ks over his last 2 starts. He could be called-up to the Cubs bullpen soon.
- RHP Michael Rucker tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief in his Iowa debut. Rucker was 0-1 with a 6.75 ERA in 11 games for Tennessee. His last 2 appearances were scoreless before being called-up to Iowa on Monday.
- 2B Phillip Evans went 2-for-4 with 1 RBI.
- CF Ian Happ went 1-for-4 with a run scored.
Fun fact: It’s crazy how the Cubs farm system can swing. On Sunday, there were 40 combined runs in 4 games. On Monday, there were a total of 3 runs in 3 games.