A good Pedro Strop update and strong pitching led the Cubs Minor League on Thursday.
Single-A South Bend
Cubs fell to Lake County 5-1.
- #27 prospect, RHP Riley Thompson was solid again despite the loss. Thompson went 5.0 innings, allowing 5 hits and 2 earned runs. He struck out 3 and walked 1. Thompson is 3-3 with a 2.45 ERA in 9 starts this season.
- RHP Jeff Passantino breezed through 3.0 innings of relief, allowing just 1 hit while striking out 4. Passantino now has 43 strikeouts to just 6 walks in 29.2 innings (11 games) this season.
- CF Zach Davis went 2-for-3 with a run scored.
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pelicans shutout Potomac 8-0.
- RHP Erich Uelmen was dominant in his 2nd start/game this season. Uelmen fired 6.0 shutout innings, allowing a pair of hits. He struck out 5 and walked 2.
- DH/OF Kevonte Mitchell went 3-for-4 with a 2-run homer. Mitchell now has 8 on the season through 44 games.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda went 1-for-4 with 1 RBI.
- #6 prospect, SS Aramis Ademan went 1-for-3 with a walk and 2 runs scored.
Smokies lost to Biloxi 3-0.
- LHP Wyatt Short threw his 13th scoreless relief appearance this season. Short is 3-0 with a 1.80 ERA in 20.0 innings (16 games) this season.
Cubs shutout Round Rock 7-0.
- RHP Pedro Strop was nearly perfect in his 2nd rehab appearance. Strop struck out 1 in 1.0 inning. He threw a total 7 pitches, with 6 for strikes.
- CF Ian Happ went 1-for-4 with a solo homer.
- 2B Robel Garcia went 3-for-4 with a solo homer. Garcia is now batting .300 with 12 homers and 40 RBI in 43 games this season.
- DH/OF Mark Zagunis went 2-for-4 with 2 RBI.
- RHP Alec Mills yielded only 2 hits over 6.0 shutout innings. Mills struck out 6 and walked 2 in the win.