Every level in the Cubs farm system featured strong pitching on Saturday.
Single-A South Bend
Cubs fell to Clinton 4-3.
- #30 prospect, RHP Riley Thompson had another excellent start despite the loss. Thompson allowed just four hits and one earned run over 5.0 innings. He struck out eight and walked two. Thompson is 2-1 this season with a 1.50 ERA in 5 starts. He has struck out 24 in 24.0 innings.
- #15 prospect, OF Nelson Velazquez went 1-for-4 with a solo homer. Velazquez is batting .323 through 25 games this season.
- RHP Jeff Passantino had another solid long relief outing. Passantino went 3.0 innings, allowing just a hit while striking out two. He is 2-0 with a 2.18 ERA in 7 relief appearances (20.2 innings) this season.
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pelicans beat Salem 3-2.
- #12 prospect, RHP Alex Lange finally settled down with 5.0 no-hit innings. Lange struck out seven and walked four, getting his first win of the season.
- 3B Luke Reynolds went 1-for-4 with a 3-run homer.
Big Sale on Cubs Stuff! Check it out below:
Smokies beat Jackson 6-3.
- #9 prospect, RHP Cory Abbott was excellent once again over 6 2/3 innings. Abbott allowed four hits and two earned runs. He struck out seven and walked none, picking up the win. Abbott is 3-1 with a 2.83 ERA through 6 starts this season.
- 3B Robel Garcia went 2-for-4 with a 3-run homer. Garcia has now reached base in 11 consecutive games, batting .328 with 6 homers and 25 RBI this season.
- OF Jared Young went 1-for-4 with 3 RBI.
Cubs beat Omaha 6-1.
- CF Ian Happ went 2-for-3 with 1 RBI.
- 2B Addison Russell went 1-for-4 with 1 RBI.
- RHP Carl Edwards Jr. made his 7th relief appearance for Iowa. Edwards recorded 4 outs without surrendering a base.
- #25 prospect, RHP Duane Underwood Jr. had his best start of the season. Underwent went 6 1/3 innings, navigating through eight hits without allowing an earned run. He struck out six and walked none.
- #20 prospect, 1B Trent Giambrone went 2-for-3 with 1 RBI, 2 walks, and a run scored.
- SS Dixon Machado went 2-for-4 with a solo homer.