Adbert Alzolay and starting pitching dazzled on Saturday in the Cubs farm system.
Single-A South Bend
Cubs beat Dayton 2-1.
- RHP Derek Casey picked up the win after 6.0 dominant innings. Casey allowed just 1 hit and 1 earned run while striking out 4 and walking 1.
- #23 prospect, RHP Jose Albertos threw his 3rd scoreless relief appearance. Albertos struck out 3 of his 5 batters faced.
- #7 prospect, OF Brennen Davis went 2-for-4 with a solo homer. Davis is batting .393 through his first 8 games this season.
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pelicans beat Potomac 7-2.
- #18 prospect, RHP Paul Richan struck out 7 over 5.1 innings. Richan allowed 6 hits and 2 earned runs, picking up the win.
- OF Kevonte Mitchell went 1-for-4 with a 2-run homer and a walk. Mitchell now has 9 homers on the season.
- #6 prospect, SS/2B Aramis Ademan went 2-for-3 with 1 RBI and a walk.
- 1B/OF Grant Fennell went 2-for-4 with 1 RBI.
Smokies beat Biloxi 7-6.
- OF Charcer Burks went 2-for-4 with a 3-run homer for a total of 4 RBI.
- 2B Vimael Machin went 1-for-4 with 2 RBI and a walk.
Cubs fell to Round Rock 2-1.
- #4 prospect, RHP Adbert Alzolay dazzled over 6.0 scoreless innings. Alzolay struck out 8 while allowing just 1 hit. He has now allowed just 2 earned runs with 23 strikeouts over his last 3 starts. (Read more here.)
- RHP Tony Barnette struck out 1 over 1.0 inning in his 5th rehab appearance for Iowa.
- 3B Phillip Evans went 1-for-2 with 2 walks and a run scored.
The Dominican Summer League Cubs squads kicked off on Saturday. If anything big/special happens throughout the season, we’ll write about it in our daily recaps.