The Cubs farm system went 3-2 on Thursday.
Emeralds fell to Boise 3-1.
- RHP Kohl Franklin was excellent once again in his 3rd start this season. Franklin went 5.0 innings giving up just 2 hits and 1 run. He struck out 5 and walked 1. In 12 2/3 innings this season, Franklin has only allowed 2 runs, good for a 1.42 ERA.
Single-A South Bend
Cubs fell to Fort Wayne 5-2.
- DH/1B Tyler Durna went 2-for-2 with a 2-run homer and a walk. Durna is now 7-for-15 with 5 RBI in his last 4 games. He is hitting .299 through 72 games this season.
- #7 prospect, OF Brennen Davis went 1-for-4 with a run scored. Davis has now reached base safely in 6 consecutive games. He’s batting .304 with 3 home runs and 10 RBI in 28 games this season.
High-A Myrtle Beach
Pelicans crushed Fayetteville 12-6 on a whopping 21 hits.
- 2B Carlos Sepulveda went 4-for-6 with 4 RBI.
- OF D.J. Wilson went 3-for-5 with a grand slam and solo homer for a total of 5 RBI.
- OF Zach Davis went 5-for-6 with 4 runs scored and 1 RBI.
- RHP Erich Uelmen picked up the win in his 3rd quality start in 6 starts. Uelmen went 6.0 innings, allowing just 5 hits and 2 runs. He struck out 7 and walked 2.
Smokies beat Chatanooga 7-3 with 12 hits.
- #12 prospect, RHP Alex Lange had a big night on the mound and at the plate. Lange mowed down the Lookouts with 4 hits and 1 run in 6.0 innings. He struck out 1 and walked 1. Lange additionally went 2-for-2 with an RBI single. In his last 3 starts combined, Lange has a 1.89 ERA and 15 strikeouts in 19.0 innings.
- 3B Jesse Hodges went 0-for-3 but drove in 2 runs.
- OF Roberto Caro went 2-for-5 with 1 RBI.
- OF Connor Myers tripled while going 2-for-4.
Cubs beat Omaha 4-1.
- The story of the game was Midwest League All-Star RHP Jeff Passantino making the spot start. Passantino was sent up from High-A Myrtle Beach and looked sharp over 4.0 innings. He allowed 4 hits and 1 run while striking out 6 on 66 pitches. Passantino hadn’t started a game on the season, however, started 8 last season between Eugene and South Bend.
- #20 prospect, 1B Trent Giambrone went 1-for-3 with a solo homer. Giambrone has homered in back-to-back games and has 16 now this season.
- OF Mark Zagunis also hit a solo homer on a 1-for-3 night. Zagunis is hitting .342 since returning to Iowa from the big league Cubs.
- #1 prospect, SS Nico Hoerner went 2-for-3 with a run scored for the Arizona Cubs #2. This is Hoerner’s first live action since being placed on the IL with a wrist/hand injury.