The Cubs had 14 prospects combined play in the Midwest League, Carolina League, and Southern League All-Star games on Tuesday. Here is a recap of their performances:
Midwest League (South Bend)
- RHP Riley Thompson recorded all 3 outs in the 2nd. Thompson struck out 1 while topping out at 96 mph. He is 3-3 with 2.50 ERA in 11 starts this season.
- LHP Brailyn Marquez hit 100 mph on the radar gun while retiring 2 in the 3rd inning. Marquez didn’t record a strikeout, although he has 59 in 46.0 innings this season.
- RHP Jeff Passantino recorded 2 outs in the 9th inning, including a strikeout. Passantino was also a 2018 Northwest League All-Star for the Eugene Emeralds last season.
- SS/2B Andy Weber came in to play in the 6th inning. Weber went 0-for-1 with a walk in the 9th inning. He’s hitting .263 with 32 RBI in 63 games this season.
Carolina League (Myrtle Beach)
- RHP Javier Assad struck out 2 in the 2nd inning. Assad only threw 13 pitches with 9 going for strikes. He has been superb this season, posting a 3.45 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 11 starts.
- RHP Jesus Camargo struck out 2 in the 5th inning. Camargo has been a solid reliever for the Pelicans this season with a 3.13 ERA and 0.99 WHIP in 17 appearances.
- RHP Paul Richan, unfortunately, allowed 2 hits and 3 runs in the 8th inning. Richan did manage to strike out 2. He has flashed signs of dominance this season with five, 1-earned run or fewer starts.
- C Tyler Payne came in to pinch-hit. He recorded a walk and later scored. Payne has been batting .260 in 46 games this season.
Southern League (Tennessee)
- RHP Tyson Miller recorded all 3 outs in the 4th. Miller struck out 2 while allowing an earned run. He has been one of the Cubs best system arms thus far, posting a 2.51 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 13 starts.
- RHP Cory Abbott came in for 2 outs in the 7th. Abbott also allowed an earned run. Just like Miller, Abbott has been dominating with a 3.50 ERA in 13 starts. He has struck out 76 in 72.0 innings.
- LHP Wyatt Short came in right after Abbott, recording a fly out to end the inning. Short has been lights out in 21 relief appearances this season. He has a 1.24 ERA and 1.07 WHIP in 29.0 innings.
- OF Roberto Caro pinch-hit and played center field, going 0-for-2 at the plate. Caro is off to a hot start this season, hitting .296 through 63 games.
- 2B Vimael Machin started and played the entire game. Machin went 2-for-5 with a run scored. He’s batting .314 with 29 walks to just 27 strikeouts in 61 games this season.
- And finally, 1B P.J. Higgins went 2-for-4 with 1 RBI, starting and playing the entire game. Higgins has 4 homers while batting .264 in 56 games this season.